Tasteful Inventions: National Inventors' Month

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

National Inventors' Month

I wouldn't be a very "tasteful"  hostess if I didn't mention August is National Inventors' Month, now would I? Yes, National Inventor's Month is a month long celebration of invention and creativity which was started way back in 1998. (I actually had a food related invention website then too:)  It is the brainchild of the United Inventors Association of the USA, the Academy of Applied Science, and Inventor's Digest Magazine.

How does one celebrate Inventors' Month? I suppose the best way to celebrate would be to remember and appreciate all the significant men, women and yes, children who planted their seeds and watched them grow, so we could enjoy the harvests; every day.

Personally, I'm not much of an inventor although, I do sometimes think of myself as a "Mad Scientist" in the kitchen. I'm forever creating meals (especially dinner meals) of odds and ends, this and that, and putting them all together. If the meal delivers oooo's and ahs, I tell my family to enjoy it for the moment as it may never come again. I suppose, the process begins at the grocery store. Take the shopping cart for example, who invented it and how? As I stroll up and down the aisles, yes, I'm a stroller in the grocery store, I'm always looking for something new to try. How else would I add to my concoctions. Sometimes, you can catch me in the salad dressing aisle absorbing all of the different combinations. I rarely use salad dressing as a marinade but, I adore all the various denominations of oil and vinegar. So, I think to myself, who invented Wishbone Salad Dressing or Thousand Island Dressing for that matter? You see what I mean, it gets so I can't go into a grocery store and not wonder. But that's not the half of it. As I daydream in the kitchen, while I'm waiting for the pot to boil, I wonder about such things as who invented the thermometer, the teabag, the blender...? In case you have this insatiable appetite for more more more, I have listed a few inventors and their inventions. Most of them have something to do with food but I did add a few in just because...

Tasteful Inventions III
Dr. Cyril P. Callister
Vegemite
Gustave Le Gray
Waxed-Paper Negative
Smith Brothers
Medicated Cough Candy
Benjamin Eisenstadt
Sweet'N Low
History of Milk Cartons
Madeline M. Turner
Turner's Fruit-Press
William Angrove
Wine Cask
Thomas Edison
Waxed paper
H. David Dalquist
Bundt pan
Momofuku Ando
Instant Noodles
Frank Epperson
The Popsicle
Pierre Fauchard
False Teeth
Mike Debenham
Presto pop-top can
The History of the Corkscrew
Herb Peterson
Egg McMuffin
Gail Borden
Condensed Milk
Guy L. Tinkham
McCord Ice Tray
George Stephen
Weber Grill

Happy Inventors' Month! Don't forget to check the other lists and inventors in the sidebar. I think you will find Margaret (Mattie) Knight quite motivating. She was only 12 years old when she had her first invention patented.

0 comments: